Today we ate the tasty first experiment with our newly grown sourdough starter. Following the recipe supplied by Wild Yeast, I made the sponge for english muffins last night while half watching the news about the incoming cyclone. This morning, in the wake of Cyclone Wilma we got up to the veggie garden in ruins (a whole row of fennel has been blown over and I am not sure if the lettuces will survive the damage), a small tree down in the driveway and no power, which because we are on tank water also means no running water. There was nothing to do but wheel the barbeque into the garage where it would be out of the weather and cook breakfast there. The english muffins came out divine, we even split them and put them on the grill side to toast. I am sure they were all the more yummy because they were sweetened with honey harvested from a friend’s hives and served up with fresh espresso. The power is back on now, which is particularly pleasing as my very first loaves of sour dough are due to go in the oven in less than 2 hours. Although, I have successfully made roast dinners in our barbeque before, so I think the sourdough bread would have been alright.